Thursday, May 14, 2015

Trial no. 1!!!!

Today, I started off with my experiment!!! Miss Kulshan had the apparatus ready and I brought 5 seashells and a bottle of Pepsi along. Once I poured out 40ml of each acid into the beakers, I recorded the weight of the 5 shells I used. After that, I recorded the pH of HCl (2M), HCl (1M), Pepsi, water and vinegar. Then, I immersed each shell of similiar mass in the acids. I waited for 15 minutes and voilĂ ! I saw the 'magic' between acids and seashells! The stronger HCl had made the center of the shell literally vanish after a violent reaction The weaker acid had left a few holes in the shell after a vigorous reaction. Pepsi made the center of the shell weak after a decent fizz and vinegar and water didn't affect the shells much. Then, I recorded the shell's masses again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment